Terms of Reference
Professional Development Committee
Developed February 4, 2008
Revised May 13 2008,
Re-Approved by National Board September 17th, 2008
Revised June 2016
Purpose: The purpose of the CHES Professional Development Committee is to develop national standards of training, practices, skills, competencies and character to enhance the professional capability and credibility of its members within the healthcare environment and relevant authorities.
Meetings: Meetings of this committee will be held by teleconference quarterly or more frequently at the discretion of the chair. A face to face meeting will be held at the annual National Conference when approved in advance by the National Board of Directors. The team will select a member of the team to record minutes of each meeting. Minutes shall clearly identify decisions taken, recommendations to the National CHES Board of Directors, items requiring further action and persons responsible for follow-up action. All minutes will be copied to National office.
Membership: Due to the uniqueness of each province and the importance of getting the proper perspective the committee will be comprised of representatives of each chapter. If certain expertise is required ad-hoc membership of people with that expertise is encouraged. The term of Chair of the Professional Development committee shall be two years. No chair shall serve more than two consecutive terms. The term of the Vice Chair shall be two years. The Vice Chair will assume the responsibilities of the Chair as required. It is the expectation that the Vice Chair will transition into the position of Chair. The transition of the Chair shall take place in an even number year, thus allowing overlap of the Executive Liaison and Chair positions.
The committee will be comprised of the following members:
- Chair (from any Chapter)
- Executive Liaison
- CHES Executive Liaison
- CHES Chapters members
- Sub-Committee Chairs
- CHES Executive Director or designate
- Ad-Hoc members
• Oversee the educational direction for members
• Ensure that all appropriate geographic areas have input into the direction of the committee.
• Develop and maintain appropriate courses that benefit the members
• Oversee the development of the National Conference
• Develop and maintain Certification of members and the standards required
• Provide opportunities for sharing best practices
• Develop Scholarships and Bursaries for education purposes
• The Chair will provide reports for the Board of Directors meetings quarterly